Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Drawing game prototype

I had an interesting experience with this prototype. In the back of my mind, I sensed that the game was a little bit too complicated, but I made the conscious decision to stick with it. But when it came time to make a prototype, I wanted to do a little proof of concept, something simpler that would be easier to teach, just to test the basic mechanics of drawing, moving, escaping monsters. The resulting, as-streamlined-as-possible design might actually be a better design.

This might be a good principle: try to create the simplest possible version of your game, and ask yourself if its really any worse than your original design.


Here's a pic with a sampling of the prototype materials. These cards and their illustrations don't really capture the tone I wanted for the final game, though the Madness injury, Grand Parade event, and Sphinxling monster are getting close in their crude way. In particular, I see the injuries as more mental/emotional, but for now I went with physical injuries, which I think will more easily win over my audience for this early prototype. I'll try to get a game in soon.

No comments: